For some, any mention of the holidays immediately induces stress. Presents to buy, schedules to coordinate, family politics, and holiday weight gain top the list of many people’s worries.
Well folks, you can do this year differently. These five tips will help you be the cool cucumber amidst the holiday hustle and bustle.
1. Have the right perspective. Don’t let distractions obscure what this holiday season is all about. It’s always helpful to step outside the eye of the hurricane and remind yourself why you’re celebrating in the first place.
When you’re smack dab in the middle of worrying about the string of lights that are out, or making sure the baseboards are clean enough for Aunt Sue, bring to mind the reason for the season, and allow that to be your main focus.
With that in mind …
2. Keep it simple. In your holiday preparation, how much of what you do is based on impressing other people? Does everything have to be made from scratch? Does every corner need to be covered in festive decor?
If you’re striving for perfection, and in turn stressing yourself out, then simplify.
Bake only that one dessert you enjoy, and let it be enough. Find one meaningful gift for your loved one, and let that be enough.
3. Do what gives you and your family joy. If you truly enjoy making everything from scratch, then go for it! If your favorite holiday memories are of baking with your grandmother, and it brings you joy to do the same, dive in!
If there’s anything else on your list of things to do that doesn’t bring you joy, though, follow rule no. 4.
4. Say no. You likely have a busy schedule. Lots of family, friends, acquaintances, and coworkers might mean you’re getting a lot of invitations. If you’re overwhelmed by it all, know that it is perfectly fine to decline.
Opt for a night in with your favorite holiday movie instead, or enjoy a relaxing bubble bath. And if you find yourself in the opposite situation, holding very few invitations, say no to loneliness and be the one to do the inviting!
5. Find time to be in nature. There is something about stepping outside, taking a deep breath of fresh air, and listening to the sounds of birds and rustling trees. Nature often instantly calms a weary soul.
Whether you take a quick breather, or go for a nice long winter’s walk, you’ll find yourself refreshed from a visit outside.
If you take these five tips to heart, you and yours will have a calmer and more meaningful season. Now bring on the cozy fireplace, peppermint mochas, and fuzzy sweaters! Happy Holidays!